I have been craving banana bread lately so as soon as I saw we had some over-ripe bananas I decided to use any ingredients we had on hand to make this. It is the perfect breakfast on the go and also makes a beautiful afternoon snack with a cup of coffee. I reccomend wrapping the leftover loaf in plastic wrap to keep it moist.
RECIPE (makes 1 loaf)
4 large over-ripe bananas
2 ½ cups roasted mixed nuts (I used a combination of almonds, cashews and hazelnuts)
½ cup of buckwheat flour
4 tablespoons of chia seeds
1 tbsp of cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp honey (you can vary this amount depending on how sweet you want it)
1. Preheat oven to 180C fan-forced.
2. Place all the nuts in a food processor and pulse until it becomes the consistency of a chunky flour.
3. Peal the bananas and mash them until they are smooth.
4. Mix the nuts, buckwheat flour, chia seeds, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
5. Add the mashed bananas and the honey and mix until well combined.
6. Pour the mixture into a loaf tray that has been lined with baking paper. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until completely cooked through.