This recipe was designed specifically for my dad. He has a massive obsession with peanut butter so I thought for Father’s Day I would come up with a dessert I know he would love. I took inspiration from a few different recipes but ultimately decided to keep it simple so the flavours of the peanut butter and chocolate could shine through. The recipe can be put together so quickly so it is perfect if you are short of time and need to prepare a quick dessert. These little beauties don’t last very long so if you want your own little stash make sure you hide it!
RECIPE (makes 24 chunks)
800g 70% (or higher) dark chocolate
¼ cup coconut oil
2 tbsp honey
½ cup crunchy peanut butter
6 medjool dates, chopped into small pieces
1 cup peanuts (unsalted)
1 cup buckwheat
2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup crushed peanuts
1. Melt the chocolate, coconut oil, honey and peanut butter in a double boiler or in the microwave.
2. In a large bowl mix together the dates, peanuts, buckwheat and salt.
3. Pour the chocolate mixture over the dry ingredients.
4. Mix well with a spatula.
5. Line a shallow tray with baking paper.
6. Pour the chocolate mixture into the tray. Use a spatula to make the top smooth and to ensure that the mixture is in a single layer.
7. Sprinkle the crushed peanuts over the top.
8. Place the tray in the freezer for a couple of hours or overnight.
9. Remove from the freezer and, using a large knife, chop the rocky road into large chunks.
Tip: This is best kept in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container for up to a week (but believe me it won’t last that long).
Tip: When you chop it up there are quite a few bits that will just break off. I recommend putting them in a little bowl to snack on, mixing it in with your granola or using it to top smoothies. But if your boyfriend or family are anything like mine those off cuts will be gone faster than the rocky road itself!!